In Game 1 of the New Year in Washington, the New Jersey Devils beat the Capitals 4-3 in overtime.
Here are the Pluses / Minuses of Sunday afternoon:
More: Garnet Hathaway celebrating Nic Dowd’s goal in the third period.
Less: Ilya Samsonov bounces back.
Nine other notes on the game:
- Seven minutes into the game, Yegor Sharangovich gave the Devils the lead from the start. A speed surge from Jack Hughes down the wing created a rebound chance which Sharangovich crammed home.
- 74 seconds later, New Jersey led by two goals. A long cross pass in the crease was hit in the net by Damon Severson from an impressive angle.
- With 47 seconds remaining in the first period, John Carlson put Washington on the scoreboard. A superb pass from Michael Sgarbossa was picked up and shot over Mackenzie Blackwood’s close side shoulder for the count.
- Carlson’s strike was Washington’s first four-on-four goal of the season.
- Any intermission momentum gained was quickly lost when the teams returned to the ice. In the first quarter of the second stanza, Nico Hischier restored New Jersey’s two-goal lead with an impressive deflection.
- The Devils outscored Washington 12-5 throughout the mid-game twenty minutes.
- Dowd drew Washington into one of the Devils with just over six minutes to go. He juggled the puck from the backhand to the forehand before bringing Capital One Arena to life with his fifth goal of the season.
- Less than three minutes later, Conor Sheary and the Capitals tied the game. Blackwood’s mistake with the puck gave it to Lars Eller in the lunge and he passed it to Sheary for an easy goal.
- In overtime, Hischier took the Devils victory with his second of the afternoon.